Saturday, March 14, 2020

A TOUGH AND PAINFUL JOURNEY TO MY TRUE SELF


  • A lot of people see me through social media and reach their own conclusions. They look at my beautiful pictures and immediately assume that I had a great upbringing with everything working well for me. But my reality is the direct opposite of that.

From a very young age I suffered from depression. I faced a lot of challenges. I was depressed so much that at some point I felt it was better to die than continue that life of depression I was living. 

My depression intensified especially in 2014. I had developed a terrible skin problem. Because of my depression, whenever I had a problem, the only thing I could think about was to keep myself away from the world, be away from people, lock myself in the house. That’s what I would often do whenever I was going through depression. Depression tended to make me feel like I had no purpose in this world. I felt that all the problems in the world were created specifically for me.

DROPPING OUT OF SCHOOL

When I had the skin problem in 2014, when I had to go to Grade 11, I dropped out of school. Unlike previous problems related to depression, I couldn’t hide my skin problem as it was on my face. It was impossible to hide.

I didn’t want people to visit me. I kept imagining that people would make fun of me and ridicule me when with their own friends and colleagues. All I could imagine was people ridiculing me.

LOCKING MYSELF INDOORS FOR 3 FULL YEARS

My elder sister, Hlengiwe, took me in to stay with her for a while. So, I moved away from home. I spent 3 years indoors, not moving out of the house. That’s when I started gaining weight at a very high rate. The only thing I could do all those 3 years was to eat and sleep, over and over. 

The weight-gain also added to the depression. It got even worse when people saw me after piling on some weight. Many kept gossiping about my weight gain. Some even believed that I was pregnant, hence my dropping out of school. The gossip made my depression even worse. 

Meanwhile, my skin problems kept worsening because of the depression.
To deal with my skin I used so many products. But they did not work, partly because I was always in a rush to see improvement. I was not patient at all. I wanted to see immediate change, and if a product didn’t work to my satisfaction, I dropped it and bought another one. I was desperate to see my skin improve. Every month I was buying some new product and applying on my face.

Then, after trying all these products without success, I visited a skin doctor in Johannesburg. The doctor gave me some tablets. They were very strong; you could only get them by a doctor’s prescription. They dried my skin as they worked on my face. I was alerted that it was part of the healing process. I had to endure that process for six months. The drugs were resolving the skin problem from the inside, as compared with the creams that I was applying on my face to try and solve the problem. 

From then, I started seeing some improvement. I was later introduced to aqueous cream to remoisturise my skin. I was advised against using alcohol-based products as they would damage my skin. I was advised to use natural products instead. I used spot corrector products and my skin kept improving.

ON BEING A MAKE-UP ARTIST

Why did I want to be a make-up artist? Initially, I wanted to be something else, but because I had dropped out of school (I had been out of school for 3 years due to the depression) and felt that I could not go back to school.

Wearing make-up every day somehow made me have passion for make-up artistry. Yes, during the depression period I was wearing make-up merely to hide myself, not because I loved it, but as time went on, I started embracing it. All those depression days I was feeling ugly, never pretty, and thus make-up hid all my ugliness, as I felt then. My love for make-up was therefore only in so far as it created some hiding space for me. I even slept wearing make-up.

A LIGHT AT THE FAR END OF THE TUNNEL

Later I searched on the internet, with great help from my sister. My passion initially was just on basic make-up, not the more advanced things like special effects, air-brush, and so on. All I wanted was to apply make-up on people, nothing more. 

I was able to find a school to further my passion for make-up. When I got to the school, I decided to register for all the courses that were offered just to get experience and to learn. My sister was very helpful in terms of guiding me through this journey. I wanted more, so that I could be able to survive and make a living through my passion.

As I was engaging myself on my studies, I was slowly discovering myself. My feeling at that time was that God had placed me where I ought to have been from the beginning. Going through all those painful phases and moments helped me discover myself; who I was and which direction in life I ought to be taking. This made me remember that during my school days I excelled in arts and culture classes. I was always a creative student although I did not realise that at the time. I always got high marks on creative work, free drawings, doing colourations, and so on.

It finally dawned on me that I had in fact been “lost” in the most beautiful place; lost into a field that I love and have passion for. To be a make-up artist, one must be very creative and have talent and lots of ideas on how to mix different things and make them look beautiful or interesting. 





I love the space I am in today. I am currently allowing the beautiful waves of fate to take me wherever they please. 


No comments:

Post a Comment